I like arrows. I must because I have a tattoo of a bow and arrow. So it’s only fitting that when my dear friend K asked if I would create something similar to a Pinterest inspired project, I had to oblige. This was an easy one but it did require a little bit of math when dealing with the angles and such. Not so much a fan of math tattoos.
I used a piece of old wood siding that was laying around in the barn.
This arrow measures 24″ on the straight side (the middle piece of the arrow) but you can customize the size to whatever dimensions you prefer. Here are some basic directions (fitting for an arrow project) for cutting and assembling this simple piece of wall art.
*Note: I was really busy making this piece and didn’t take the best of pics or notes – my apologies!
Step 1 —> Figure out the total length of the arrow that you would prefer. To cut the straight side or middle piece, subtract around 5″ from your total measurement. This will vary based on how many feathers you put on the arrow and the basic shape that you want to achieve.
Step 2 —> Cut your middle piece but make sure that you have enough wood to complete the tip and feather(s) of the arrow. For this arrow, I had approximately 25 additional inches of wood to make the final pieces.
Step 3 —> Cut the tip of the arrow using a 30 degree saw cut (either a miter saw or miter box with hand saw) on opposite directions of the corners (see the pic if you are confused). I took two pieces – the first was 6″ and the second was 4″. With a 30 degree cut on the longer piece complete, I stacked the smaller piece on top and used a triangle to figure out where the 30 degree cuts for the top part of the tip should be.
Step 4 —> I wanted to make two back feathers which meant 4 total pieces. These 3.5″ pieces were cut using a 45 degree angle on the same direction for each side (see the pic if you are confused). I did make a mistake and tried to notch a 45 degree angle (and if you use a jigsaw instead of being lazy like myself who used a miter saw, this will work) using the wrong equipment which meant the pieces didn’t square up as nicely as they should have. Instead, I stacked them on top and the effect is just as cool.
Step 5 —> Sand and prep for painting. This was painted using a diluted grey matte color with a sea foam green stripe (called “katydid” – how appropriate) down the middle.
And I’m loving the results! The gray and green colors look amazing together…
I then add 2 picture hangers on the back and done. K will meet her new arrow tonight at our back to school patio party. I’m really hoping for some in house shots to share soon!