FIN. A. LLY. The black dresser of god-awfulness has been transformed into a wine bar of solace. From the ashes of butt ugly rises beauty in the form of an portal of fruity delight. Simply put the dresser to wine bar DIY is done.
Figurative language, much?
When I last left this project (need a refresher?), it was painted and ready for the final touches including the hardware and wine rack. Because, what is an awesome wine bar without the rack, eh?
The hardware was purchased at Lowe’s – it has an aged bronze finish and took me all of 2 seconds to pick out.
As for the rack, it was a process that involved 8 foot sections of 1 X 2 white pine lumber.
I imagined a two-tier wine rack and started by staining all of the lumber to match the dresser top (Kona stain by Rustoleum).
Then I measured the depth of the area and cut 20 pieces of lumber to that width. These would be the bar sections that physically hold up the wine bottles flat. If you are a wine freak, then you know that it is best to keep the cork moist and wine somewhat angled and on it’s side. I’m not an official expert but I do drink wine, therefore I’m expert in my own mind.
It took me awhile to figure out that measurements for the bottles because there is a variety of wine bottle sizes. So, for the sake of DIY, I sacrificed 2 different bottles of wine to insure that I would have the correct size.
There are 7 spaces for “regular” size wine bottles (I used a Middle Sister Moscato bottle for the correct measurement) and 2 spaces for the “fat bottom” bottles (I used a Cupcake Moscato bottle for this correct measurement).
The regular bottle boards were spaced 1.5″ apart while the fat bottom boards were spaced 2.25 inches apart.
After creating the bottom rack, I struggled (and complained to Kurt repeatedly) with the top part. Finally, I decided on a sandwich look for the top rack with supporting braces on the front sides and a long support on the back of the opening.
Then I repeated the same process as the bottom except I built the rack with 2 sandwiched long boards on the front and back.
Side note: The messy mess of horrible messes that exists in the following photo is no longer there. I was inspired to clean as you will find out in an upcoming post.
Then it was just a matter of setting the second rack on the supports and testing it out!
So, to refresh our wine hazy memories, this project started out looking like this:
And now she looks like this (game show host enthusiasm):
D. O. N. E.
Now, time for a drink. Wine, definitely wine.